Friday, May 15, 2009

I declared to my parents at Three years old, that I was going to be a doctor. Looking back on my life, I see that God has blessed me with a vision of what my future was to be, earlier than most usually come to that realization.
Everything that has been done in my life since then, including my wise parents moving to the United States, was so that I could accomplish that one major goal. Coming to the U.S. at 10 yrs old, about to turn 11 was a very difficult thing for me to withstand. I did not know about racism until I came to this country. Trinidad is such a culturally diverse place. Heck, the joke about Trinidadians is that they are mixed with at least 2 or three distinct races (I have Scottish in me among other things. My paternal grandmother is half Scottish)
In my household, nothing was impossible, but growing up in Mesa Arizona, being black, smart and driven got you hated and misunderstood by the African Americans and underestimated by the Whites.
Going through Junior High and High School definitely reinforced in me my already existent belief that others opinions and expectations of you have no bearing on who you actually are or who you will become.
I had teachers and counselors, hired to inspire the next generation, who, although I was the only black person in any of my classes, most of which being Honors classes, and I consistently earned great grades, still couldn't comprehend the possibility that I would be something great. I still remember the startled looks whenever I used to say that I was going to be a doctor.
One of my younger sisters, a straight A student in Highschool (and Deans list etc student now in College), was advised to look for a job or learn a bloody trade by a Mesa High guidance counselor when she went to him to ask for college planning advice.
I had teachers (both black and white) gossiping about me in Highschool simply because I was dating a white guy, instead of focusing on their jobs or the fact that I was always one of their best students.
(I did have a handful of great teachers who I know will be richly rewarded by God for their commitment to nonjudementally doing the job of teaching and guiding)

But, amidst it all, I always had God. And, the thing about God is that he does not only inspire you to do something, but he guides you along the way, constantly giving you what you need to realize that which he has chosen for you. It is to him I give all of the glory and the praise. He has always had my hand in his and he has never let go.
He gave me awesome parents, an amazing husband and now has entrusted me with a life that I get to guard and to guide.
I am truly, truly humbled..........

6 comments:

Katy said...

That made me tear up a little. Beautiful

Naz said...

I believe in this quote and I know you do too :)"If God's with you then who's against you" I never knew I had my own blog since 2006 hahah I read posts that I had wrote then and I was like OMG...

Naz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

I think this goes to show the power that a strong supportive family has on an individual. Can you imagine dealing with that crap without your parents and sibling support, etc? It says a lot of wonderful things about your parents that you and your siblings have been able to accomplish so many goals that were set.

Randy and Dionne Sillik said...

I agree. If my parents weren't the type of people that they were, the five of us would not be even nearly as successful as we are now. The job of parenting is one of the most important and critical jobs that any one can have.

Ella A. said...

I think that you are one of the most inspiring people I know. I always knew you were exceptionally smart, but I never knew that you held religion so close to your heart. I have been touched by your spirituality and strength! Thanks for sharing. :)