Wednesday, April 8, 2009


Just a pic of me on the right and Dr. Kelsick, the surgeon that I am doing my rotation with. This particular surgery was to free up bowel loops that had basically stuck to each other and to the abdominal wall, thus looping around eachother and becoming obstructed and dilated. It took about two and a half hours. I was first assist on this case. Dr. Kelsick is awesome! He's been letting me do the skin closures, which is the last stage to closing up the abdomen. We do a Subcuticular stitch that requires that you be dextrous at handling and manipulating the needle driver and the pick ups so that you make a beautiful line that is well enough approximated so that when the scar heals, you can barely see where we went in. I have been getting a lot better and a lot faster. Today was my best effort yet! Dr. Kelsick and the anesthesiologist were pretty impressed, and I was very proud, especially since I did it while feeling like crap :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

That is so great! I'm especially impressed because you'll have to do so many C-Sections as an OB/GYN. (maybe?)

Randy and Dionne Sillik said...

Yes, the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology is a Surgical specialty. So, apart from doing C-Sections, I will be trained to do a number of other pelvic surgeries. (Repair problems with the ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes, etc)