Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Great News I've Been Dying to Share!!!


As I'd said in my first, 'Welcome' post on this blog, Randy and I were at the point in our lives where we would start our family. Well, after being on birth control pills for many years (almost 10 or so), I was nervous as to how long it would take me to get pregnant. My paternal grandmother had 10 children, my maternal grandmother had 6, and my mother had 5 children, of which I am the oldest. I prayed that the very heightened fertility of my family would trickle down on me.

On April 2nd, I found out that my prayers had been answered. Remarkably, after only one month of trying, Randy and I are expecting our first baby, due December 8th!! I took three pregnancy tests- 2 on the 2nd and one the evening of the 3rd- just to make sure that I was not imagining it all.

Yesterday was my first doctor's visit and this morning I had my first ultrasound. I am 8wks and 1 day today. Seeing my baby's heartbeat for the first time was amazing! I would always feel so much joy for the moms whenever I did their ultrasounds, but to see my own baby's heart beating fast and strong, made my heart swell and my eyes fill with tears.

The picture above was not one of the best that the lady could've given me but oh well. As you can see the rather large dark area in the upper right was my extremely full bladder. Great for doing early pregnancy ultrasounds, but not very comfortable when you are always having to go. I was able to see the yolk sac, the body, as well as the buds that will soon become the arms and legs. Apart from that, everything was still a bit hazy since everything is still so small. Nevertheless, I was thrilled!

Yesterday I told my (paternal) grandmother, and she is spreading the word to all of my extended family. It was good to give her good news after she received such bad news the day before.

I feel truly blessed and honored that God has entrusted me with this life. This March was definitely a month of dreams coming true for me and Randy.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

How exciting for you both! :o)

Katy said...

WOW, that's so great. Congrats! I swear something is in the water. Lots of friends are starting to get pregnant now.

Ella A. said...

And I am so happy for you. I remember those full bladder moments. . . yikes. Sometimes I thought I took the water drinking a little overboard. :) You'll have to keep us updated on all progress!

Cassandra said...

YAY!!!! HUZZAH!!! CONGRATS!!! HOORAY!!! I think I'm just a little excited for you! I'm so glad to hear the fantastic news! :) You are going to be a great mother! Keep us updated!

Amy said...

Congatulations, again and again! Fun times are in store for you up ahead!

Randy and Dionne Sillik said...

Thanks Ladies!!
Amy, Cassandra and Beth:I am sure that I will be bugging you for advice from the pros over the next 7 months ;)

The Wizzle said...

Congratulations! I can't remember what class we had together at ALL. Maybe English? AP Senior English? Did I even take that class? :)

Anyway, huge congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family. Being a parent is a whole new ride - you'll think you are crazy sometimes (a lot of the time!) but the rewards are incredible.

Looks like you have a happy life - I love what you have to say about empowering women. You keep on doing your good work there, and drop me a line anytime on Facebook!

The Ottens said...

Yea, yea, yeah!!! I was waiting to see when you'd announce it officially! Awesome Dionne!!! Congrats to you and the proud papa... as Greg would say, "his boys are swimmers!"... isn't it amazing to be on the other side of the US? I told you it would make you cry to see YOUR baby's heart beating! And the buds... wait until you start to watch it over and spin around and yet still can't feel it! Awesome. So happy for you! And yes, that is a mighty full bladder... it gets worse before it gets better... I was 14wks before I could get a decent nights sleep again! Enjoy! -Nicky-

witticism here said...

YEAH!!!

Luann said...

Congratulations Dionne. My first baby was delivered by a pregnant family practice resident. I interrupted her baby shower to have my baby. It was comforting knowing she was going through the same thing I was.