Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A little Rant

Without being very specific by pointing fingers or naming names, I will share with you a frustration that arose in me over the Easter weekend. It is an issue that presents itself in many ways upon my soul and I feel like I need to share.

It saddens my soul when I am around children that do not know about the love of God. It saddens and frustrates me to see when parents have chosen to ignore the development of that aspect of their lives. I know that there are atheists and agnostics and many other religions in this world, its just that some times when I hear or see ridiculous theories I get upset, epecially since I know that I must keep my mouth shut.

For example: Getting kids easter baskets filled with candy and gifts but not seeing the ridiculousnesss of doing so without even discussing the meaning and point of Easter.
Someone told me this weekend, that if there was no fun associated with an activity for a child then they will grow up with a memory of boredom and not maintain those beliefs as an adult. Thats all good and everything, but how do they maintain a belief when it is never taught in the first place, and all they get is the fun??

I also feel this way at christmas time, mind you, when I see that it has become about things and the aquisition of material possesions, but when heaven forbid a Christian wants to talk about Jesus at that time, there is awkwardness and surpression. I don't go around celebrating Hanukkah in order to get 8 gifts, yet our christian holidays are open for the picking to be celebrated by people who don't even believe that God exists. Santa Claus and the Easter bunny has replaced Jesus and the promise of salvation.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Interesting feeling that kids have to have an activity/candy or else they'll get bored. No wonder we're in a recession! Kids don't need everything handed to them, all the time. C'mon.

Also, I just wanted to share that I know some people that have the Easter Bunny come on Saturday so that Easter Sunday can be dedicated to Christ and reading from the New Testament, etc. I thought that was a cool idea and am considering it for next year...

Ella A. said...

I couldn't agree with you more. It is sad. I am glad to see you talking about it, though. It needs to be talked about. And Christians need not be ashamed to stand up for what they believe. Good for you. ;)

Randy and Dionne Sillik said...

I like that idea, Amy. We had easter activities as children but we still got the message of christ etc which is the most important part. Kids need to learn that somethings are important because they are, not based on the "fun factor"
Thanks for the comments girls. I was wary about posting this. Thanks for the encouragement

Katy said...

This is a tough subject being as though the origins of Christmas aren't even Christian centered. Here's a good article about Christmas http://www.history.com/minisites/christmas/
Now, I realize that most people today associate Christmas with Christ, but I think it can definitely be celebrated with out it being Christ centered. As for Easter, that's a little different. If I celebrate Easter, it's simply a time to get together with family, just like Christmas. There's also something very real and special about it being about family too, in my opinion. To speak to your point about celebrating the true meaning of the season. I agree! I think if you're Christian, stand up for it, celebrate it and definitely bring it into the holiday. I'm just giving the Agnostic point of view. As an agnostic, I simply can't speak definitively of "the truth" but for me, it doesn't detract from celebrating mainstream Christian holidays.

Cassandra said...

I couldn't agree more. Although I am guilty of playing the Easter bunny and Santa Claus, I want my daughters to know the importance of each day, rather than it just being a day of gifts. I know Piper and Sam are too young to really understand it, but in the coming years they will learn WHY we celebrate this holidays in the first place.

Good for you for pointing it out, Dionne! You are awesome!

Unknown said...

The whole time I was growing up the Easter Bunny and Easter egg hunts were on Saturday so as not to confuse with the REAL Easter. I appreciate that my mom did that for us, because it helped me distinguish the difference.

I plan to continue that with my children if/when I have any :o) I do it with my hubbie right now too.

Laura said...

I definitely understand where you're coming from. All these so called traditions can trace back to the times when Christian church leaders were spreading their message throughout the world and were facing opposition by the local pagan religions. As a compromise, the church would turn the pagan celebrations into Christian celebrations. That is why Easter is not only associated with the Resurrection, but with the "rebirth" of the natural world that happens in spring. I'm not offering excuses or saying that it's right, but there are things you can do to turn it back towards Christ. I like the analogy of the colored eggs representing us in our stained, sinful state. Through Christ's Atonement, Sacrifice and Resurrection, we become clean and white again, just like when you peel the shell off the egg! And the candy and gifts represent the gift of the the Resurrection and Atonement, and the sweetness it brings to life! Hope you had a Happy Easter despite all of the annoyances!

Randy and Dionne Sillik said...

Thanks Laura. I like that way of looking at things and of tying the commercialized side of the holiday by using it as a symbolism or metaphor for our walk with christ. When things are put into context like that, it serves to enhance, not cheapen the occasion.