Friday, March 6, 2009

Hello and Welcome!

Hello there, Dionne here. I am reluctant to start a blog. I don't really see my life as having enough day to day interesting happenings to post, but I know that there are things that pop into my mind that possibly others can benifit from and this is a good way to share my and Randy's experiences with friends and family, so I guess we'll give it a shot.
So, since this is the first real entry, I guess that I will get everyone up to speed. As of right now, Randy and I are at a new and exciting point in our lives, on many levels.
~April 10th will be my last day of medical school and on June 5th, family and friends will be gathering in NY for my graduation ceremony.
~On March 19th, we will discover where we will be going for my Ob/Gyn residency program. At the top of my list are programs in Cincinnati, Phoenix and Chicago.
~Randy and I have decided to start a family; something that we have always wanted to do as a couple and definitely something that we have both individually wanted in our lives for as long as we can remember.

My Uncle George said to me the other day, that I am now leaving a storm that I have been in for many years, and soon I will be entering another one (residency). He advised me, that in the calm between storms that I am in right now, to take the time to enjoy my life and to fortify myself with that which I need to survive the next storm. Reading books for fun (for a change), getting back into Salsa dancing etc are all things that I can and should do right now, but he stressed that I should also use this time to get even closer to God, and seek his face, seek his guidance and get reaquainted with the bible. So that when a trial arises and I am too bombarded with work, family etc, I can remember the verses that I read during this time, and find comfort in that. I can essentially live off of the stores that I'd created during the calm.
Of course he also wants me to continue reading God's word during residency and beyond, because that is what will always sustain me, but I do understand what he is saying about how to use the relative free time that I do have right now.
Thanks Uncle George, for the very good and timely advice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dionne! I didn't know you were such a huge salsa dancer! I am too. I have fallen off the salsa wagon over the past year, but I just found a place to take lessons here in Germany last week. If you love it just as much as me, you will take the opportunity to do as much of it as you can during your break. Have fun, relax, and have more fun!