Sunday, March 22, 2009

Some Inspiration from Church

In the sidebar of my blog I have a phrase that I made up that says "Joy is being able to be happy, even when life sucks. Here's to you finding your joy" Well today, Pastor Chip at my church (Oakbrook Community Church) was adding to his series called 'Tough Times Survival Kit'. Today he spoke of another survival aide in tough times which is to Rejoice. He spoke of the difference between happiness and Joy. These are a few of the comparisons that he made.


Happiness is based on expectation
Joy is based on Salvation

Happiness produces a feeling
Joy produces results and growth

Happiness is self sought
While Joy is Christ bought

From a christian perspective, when we have the assurances of God's grace, mercy and love in our hearts, there will always be a source of joy for us. Therefore, whether times are good or bad, we should always have a reason to rejoice.

I know that as a nation we are facing an upheaval right now in our way of life, and I know that there are a lot of people who may find it hard to rejoice in a time like this, but I encourage all of us to remember that while sometimes there may not be anything around us to be happy about, there is usually always something to be joyful about. Whether it be the caress of a spouse/partner, or the love you feel for your child.

For me it is the blessed assurance of knowing that my life is in good hands (God's), that my salvation is secured, and that I have people around me with my best interests at heart. (The caress of my spouse is high up on the list as well)

When we seek things that make us happy, we may never be able to stop looking for things because sources of happiness aren't constants. But, when we have that which brings us joy, we can rest amidst storms, good times or bad, knowing that those things will never change. They are there whether u've had a bad day or not.

Seeking Joy in our lives is something more attainable and dependable than seeking happiness, which is so temperamental and conditional that we will never be satisfied and will always have to keep looking for it.

Here's to you finding your joy

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

I love seeking joy, especially in the wee hours of the morn with my little munchy!

Unknown said...

Can I just say that it's really refreshing to hear you talk so openly about your life being in God's hands? It's nice to read... it's definitely not reinforced in the media and that makes it hard to remember sometimes. Thank you!

Amy said...

Those are really great thoughts about happiness and joy. Thank you for sharing them with us.