Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Pet Peeve

Today, one of my pet peeves that usually gets under my skin, really got under my skin. Doctors who write illegibly in charts!!! I mean, what is the point of writing in the chart when no one else can understand it? This is not their personal diary for crying out loud!!

I and one of the nurses digressed for at least 15 mins at the nurses station griping about this and she stressed that the new generation of doctors have to shrug off the old way of doing things and make the system better.

Which brings me to my other peeve. Bogus consults!!! Now I know that no current doctors are reading this, but I say this to my fellow soon-to be M.D's: If you do Family Med or Internal Med residency and you don't feel comfortable managing a sick patient who happens to have Hypertension or a little chest discomfort, then please reconsider if you learned anything in residency at all, and also, be ashamed of yourself. I don't care what specialty you are, please do not call a cardiology consult for something that you should be able to manage yourself. It is your patient, so take care of them. Think about how much money the patients and the government are being charged everytime a consult is called.

Do you know how many times we get a consult when the cardiologist can't even tell me why he was called cause he doesn't know??? ARGGHHH!!!!

Whew, now that I got that off of my chest I can go on with the rest of my day.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Well, I know I'm not a doctor, but I've been in positions before where I couldn't read what my boss had written for me...and it was mostly men too! Women tend to have neater handwriting, in my opinion.