Sunday, March 8, 2009

My First Crawfish Boil

So my sister-in-law Katie is originally from the
South. The gulf coast of Mississippi. She also lived in Louisiana and Oklahoma for some years. Her and my brother-in-law, David (Randy's older brother), and their two boys Alex and Gabriel moved up here to the Chicago suburb of Addison about 4yrs ago, and ever since then, she has understandably experienced bouts of homesickness. Well, for the last few weeks she had another episode of the afore mentioned homesickness, and could not stop talking about how much she missed Louisiana style cooking. Well at the end of this week that just passed, Dave found a company online that will ship live Crawfish and he decided that we were going to have a good ole Crawfish Boil right here.
I'd had shrimp, lobster, crab,oysters, scallops etc before, but I don't think I'd ever had crawfish before, so I was game. So, on Saturday (yesterday), amidst the rain and grey skies, in a large pot, Dave and Katie assembled potatoes, corn, mushrooms, onions, and a heaping helping of Dave's concoction of seasonings, and we chowed down. It was fun, but I prefer shrimp or lobster. Those little tails were such a tease. No wonder you have to eat a lot of them to get filled up. Anyway, it was good to hang out with family.
After that, we went home and Randy ended up staying up till 6:00AM this morning, working on a database for work, so it was a good thing that we got some enjoyment out of the Saturday. I stayed up till about 4:30AM to keep him company, but eventually, I ran out of games to play and things to surf online, not to mention energy. I had to hit the sack. He got his stuff in by the deadline, but we were subsequently too sleep deprived to wake up and go to church. Bummer.....

No comments: